Due to COVID-19 restrictions, advance shuttle reservations will be required for the Zion Canyon Shuttle in 2021. Tickets are priced at $1 each and are available at www.recreation.gov two weeks in advance. All passengers must have a ticket. There will be no walk-up ticketing.
Entire Length of Pa’rus Trail Now Accessible
Thanks to some 2019 trail upgrades, the entire length of the Pa’rus Trail is now wheelchair-accessible. Previously a short stretch of the trail at the Canyon Junction end had a steep grade, and was not accessible to manual wheelchair-users. Today that access deficit has been fixed, and wheelchair-users and slow walkers can now access the trail from both the Zion Visitor Center or the Canyon Junction trailheads.
Major Road Construction to Cause Delays and Closures in Arches National Park
A major road construction project on the 26-mile road in Arches National Park is slated for 2017. The expected closures and delays from the project are listed below.
- March 1 – November 30: Devils Garden Campground closed.
- March 13 – November 30: All paved roads close at 7 pm Sunday through Thursday.
- March 27: Expect daytime driving delays beginning March 27.
- April 30 – May 26: Devils Garden road, parking lot, and trails are closed day and night. Vehicles turn around at Sand Dune Arch trailhead parking.
- May 30 – June 23: Fiery Furnace area and hiking routes and Salt Valley Overlook closed day and night.
There will be no nightly closures on these holidays and weekends:
- Memorial Day weekend: Open 7 am Friday, May 26 through 7 pm Tuesday, May 30.
- Independence Day: Open 7 am Monday, July 3 through 7 pm Wednesday, July 5.
- Pioneer Day weekend: Open 7 am Friday, July 21 through 7 pm Tuesday, July 25.
- Labor Day weekend: Open 7 am Friday, September 1 through 7 pm Tuesday, September 5.
- Utah Education Association (UEA) weekend: 7 am Wednesday, October 18 through 7 pm Sunday, October 22.
Expect major traffic congestion and limited parking on these holidays.
New Price for NPS Senior Pass
Beginning in 2017, the cost for a NPS Senior Pass will increase from $10 to $80. The pass is still valid for the lifetime of the passholder. A new annual Senior Pass is also available for $20, and the cost of it can be applied to the purchase price of a lifetime pass at a later date. The new prices will be implemented by the end of 2017, but the NPS doesn’t have a specific timeline.
2016 Shuttle Road Construction Update
Due to road construction in the park, the park shuttles are running on a modified schedule during the 2016 season. The shuttle stops include the shuttle staging area, Ruby’s Inn and Ruby’s Campground in Bryce Canyon City; and the Visitor Center, Sunset Campground, Inspiration Point and Sunset Point in the park. Bryce Point is closed to visitors, and there is no vehicle access to Paria Point. And although the small parking lot behind the main Bryce Lodge building offers limited parking because of construction, the accessible parking spaces seem to have good availability.
Suggest An Update
To suggest an update drop the author a note. firstname.lastname@example.org